Position Title: Communications Officer
Reports To: Media and Communications Manager
Position Type: Full time
Location: Sydney (Melbourne considered)
Salary range: $60,000 – 70,000 (depending on experience) + super and other benefits
ActionAid Australia is a global women’s rights organisation, supporting women living in poverty and exclusion to stand up against injustice and claim their rights. ActionAid works in 45 countries around the world.
About the role
We’re looking for a talented communicator with a flair for producing content and a passion for women’s rights to support the Media and Communications Manager to deliver ActionAid’s communications strategy.
As the primary person creating content for and updating ActionAid’s website and social channels, you’ll use your storytelling and digital skills to create a range of written and visual content including blogs, graphics, videos, and case studies.
The role works with teams across the organisation and helps ensure that ActionAid’s content consistently promotes our brand and messaging. It also works with external event producers on Frocking Hilarious, ActionAid’s flagship annual public relations event.
Key objectives for this role are:
- Produce content that raises the voices of the women we work with, promotes our programs, campaigns and fundraising and is aligned to our strategy and brand
- Ensure that digital communications channels are regularly updated, promote content that is aligned to our strategy and brand and effectively target ActionAid’s key audiences
- Organise event logistics for Frocking Hilarious and other PR events
- Support the Media and Communications Manager in other tasks as required.
Knowledge, skills and competencies required
The ideal candidate for the role will have:
- Understanding of women’s rights and commitment to ActionAid’s values and objectives
- Minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience
- A degree in communications, media, marketing or a related discipline
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills; ability to craft messaging across multiple platforms and for various target audiences
- Proficiency producing on-brand visual content using creative software (eg Canva or Adobe CC)
- Experience using a CMS, email marketing and/or social media scheduling tools (eg WordPress, Action Network, Campaign Monitor, Sprout Social)
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills; high level of cultural competence
- Highly organised with ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple projects
Desirable (but not essential)
- A background in women’s rights, global justice or international development
- Experience in the Australian media industry
- Graphic design, photo and video editing skills
- Understanding of web SEO and accessibility best practices
- Up-to-date knowledge and understanding of social media trends, advertising and best practice
- Demonstrated experience writing successful EDM copy
A detailed position description is available on the ActionAid Australia website: Communications Officer PD 2021
How to apply
To apply: Email your resume, and a cover letter highlighting how you meet the above selection criteria, to [email protected]
Closing date: 24 June 2021
ActionAid is an equal opportunities employer, and is always actively looking for applicants from a diverse range of genders, cultures, language groups, abilities, and experiences to apply. To be eligible to apply for this position you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa or be eligible to apply for one.