Head of Global Engagement
ActionAid Australia is looking to recruit a Head of Global Engagement to join its Leadership Team. This position plays a key role in overseeing the organisation’s international development and humanitarian programming and its external positioning and government relations. It is also actively engaged in the ActionAid International federation contributing to global programming platforms and other strategic conversations around our development and humanitarian work. The ideal candidate will be passionate about women’s rights with proven team leadership and program management experience, as well as having exceptional communications and relationship building skills.
ActionAid Australia is a global women’s rights organisation, working to advance the rights of women living in poverty and exclusion in communities around the world. ActionAid works in more than 45 countries.
As a member of Leadership Team, the Head of Global Engagement plays a key role in the organisation’s external advocacy and positioning by driving credible program alternatives in line with ActionAid Australia’s (AAA) strategy, feminist human rights-based approach, and humanitarian signature. It also has a strong interface with the ActionAid International federation, actively engaging in international program platforms and coordinating work under ActionAid Australia’s global delegation on women’s leadership and protection in emergencies.
Key objectives of the role are to:
- oversee the development and promotion of innovative programs and partnerships in line with ActionAid’s feminist HRBA and humanitarian signature as well as the ACFID Code of Conduct and DFAT funding obligations;
- drive the strategic positioning of AAA’s programs and approaches among external audiences and effective management of government and sector relations;
- contribute thought leadership to AAA’s global delegation on women’s leadership and protection in emergencies, developing tools and approaches to strengthen the federation’s humanitarian programming in this area and actively engaging the countries we work with; and
- provide strategic oversight and management of the Global Engagement team promoting a strong culture of collaboration in line with feminist leadership principles, AAA’s Team Charter, values and HR policies and practices.
The position manages program, humanitarian and communications functions across the organisation, working to ensure a coordinated approach to AAA’s external positioning that amplifies the voices of the women we work with. This role has budget and financial management responsibilities.
As the ideal candidate for the role, you will meet the following key skills and competencies:
- Passionate about women’s rights with previous experience working to advance gender equality
- Strategic understanding of the international development and humanitarian sectors and current trends and developments
- Proven team leadership, management and interpersonal skills, including strong cross-cultural understanding and a commitment to diversity
- Previous experience in advocacy and government relations, and the ability to represent and advocate on behalf of ActionAid Australia
- Proven experience in international development and humanitarian programming
- Strong relationship building and networking skills with a proven track record in partnership development and innovation
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Solid planning and organisational skills, including managing deadlines and time-sensitive situations
- A strong commitment to ActionAid Australia’s values and human rights-based approaches to development
- Relevant tertiary qualifications.
If you thrive in a dynamic environment where you can make a difference and be part of the organisation’s success, please email your application to [email protected], attaching a copy of your resume and a cover letter highlighting how you meet the above selection criteria. A detailed position description is available here – Head of Global Engagement Position Description
Applications close on 14 January 2018. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
ActionAid is an equal opportunities employer, and is always actively looking for applicants from a diverse range of genders, cultures, language groups, abilities, and experiences to apply.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa or be eligible to apply for one. Secondment from other ActionAid offices will be considered.